SSA Gallery

The Society of Scottish Armigers
Home > Picture Gallery 2003-2009
Click to view full size image
2006-02 ST. ANDREWS/AGM
BALMUTO CASTLE


LOCATION AND TRAVEL

Travelling by car, the journey to Balmuto Castle takes approximately 30 minutes from St. Andrews; it is approx. 45 minutes from Edinburgh.
Balmuto Castle is situated 2.5 miles north of Burntisland

ABOUT THE CASTLE

Much of the original castle was destroyed circa 1560. The Castle incorporates a square keep (dated 1594) and two 16th century extensions, having vaulted basements. The corbelled-out parapet was added circa 1797. The Tower was restored between 1974 and 1984.

Formerly the property of the Glens, it passed to the Boswells. Sir Alexander Boswell of Balmuto was killed at the Battle of Flodden in 1513. The castle has been in the Boswell family for over 500 years, and is owned by the cousins of our Vice Chairman.

"Mary Queen of Scots slept here" - yes, several times, in fact. The castle and the remaining 100 acres of the original 6,000 acres of demesne lands have been beautifully restored over the past 40 years, to the point that it is a Class B Scottish Landmark. Although the castle is not open to the public, the Vice-Chairman arranged a walking tour of the grounds and a tour of the castle.
3_l.jpg 2_l.jpg Balmuto2.jpg 1_l.jpg ll-group1.jpg
Rate this file (current rating : 0.1 / 5 with 9 votes)
Rubbish
Poor
Fair
Good
Excellent
Great